Spezzatino di Vittelo – a sort of beef and potato stew
Spezzatino di Vittelo – as sort of beef and potato stew
- 600g of spezzatino di vitelli -Stewing beef)
- One tuscan sausage (or any decent large spicy sausage)
- Large onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- Jar of mutti tomato – the thick tomato sauce in a bottle
- 5 large potatoes chopped in large pieces
- Glass of red wine
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
a handful of rosemary, leaves picked
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Soffritto of onion, carrot and celery – gently soften the onion carrot and celary in oil
- Add the pieces of meat
- Stir and brown the meat
- Add a tuscan sausage
- Cook on a high heat for a few minutes
- Add wine and cook on
- After a few minutes add the bottle of mutt
- Cook for a while and then add the potatoes, add stock sufficient to cover, check seasoning and cook on stirring from time to time.
- The meat should almost fall apart when cooked.
- The best way to serve this is by ladling big spoonfuls into bowls, accompanied by a glass of Chiant and some really good bread. Mix the lemon zest, chopped rosemary and garlic together and sprinkle over the stew before eating. Just the smallest amount will make a world of difference – as soon as it hits the hot stew it will release an amazing fragrance.